How to Avoid Getting Scammed
Nobody wants to get scammed or even deal with a fraudulent transaction. And in auto auctions, most scams happen online.
There are different types of auto auctions and one of them is the online auto auction. You get to bid for a vehicle of your choice and the highest bidder will win. The process is just the same, except that it’s done online.
Since it’s done online, you will have no chance to inspect the car. Online auctions sometimes become a place for dishonest dealers. Some auto auctions advertise their vehicles in “excellent condition inside and out”. But you’d be just surprised when you finally see you purchase and it looks like it’s been seriously rebuilt. Most scams online are a misrepresentation of the vehicle’s condition. Likewise, you don’t know the dealer and the vehicle’s history so there is a big chance that you can get scammed.
Some sellers also auction stolen vehicles that disappear once a buyer sends them cash. At the same time, buyers don’t get the opportunity to inspect the vehicle before buying it, so they don’t know the exact condition of the vehicle until it arrives. What’s worse is that they have already paid for it and there’s no way you can get your money back.
However, there are so many ways in which you can avoid getting scammed.
• If you are participating in an online auto auction, make sure that it is a trusted auction house.
• Find out everything about the vehicle. Print out the description and read it carefully. Keep a copy of every email and other transactions as reference. Ask the seller if he can provide you a picture of the vehicle in all angles. Study the descriptions and features provided by the seller.
• Don’t be fooled by low prices. Know the actual worth of the vehicle. Take note of auctions that lure you off the site and promise that they offer a better price.
• Don’t pay by cash or through wire payments. It is best to use a secure form of payment such as a credit card because sellers will not be able to scam your money in this way.
• Always look for positive feedback from the seller. A seller with a good amount of positive feedback would mean that they are legitimate. If they have a negative feedback, do check it as well.
• Usually, auctions posted in a short amount of time are most likely to be a scam. Take note of this and scrutinize the auction very carefully. Also check if there are images included in the auction. Buying a vehicle which you have no idea what it looks like can be scary.
• Don’t be afraid to ask any questions to the seller if you have one. This is one good way for you to screen the vehicle’s condition.
• Make sure that you have the seller’s contact details in case anything goes wrong. Call the phone number or mobile number given to you to make sure it’s a valid phone number. If you are unsure about the seller, you can contact the auction house to verify his identity.
Cedric S. is a writer for www.articles-r-us.net